PC Hardware and SoftwareNew CPU Fan Installed, computer not starting.

Build a PC, Gloat about your Dual Titans and laugh at the AMD fanbois
powerpuffters
Over Opinionated
Over Opinionated
Planetside 2 Character Name: Powerpuffters

New CPU Fan Installed, computer not starting.

Postby powerpuffters » January 11th, 2016, 7:26 pm

Okay, so I went out today and purchased a new CPU Fan (CoolerMaster Hyper 212) to replace my old stock intel CPU Fan. Once I had purchased my fan, and took it home, I removed all of my pc components, except for my ram, and used my mrs hairdryer (on cold settings) to completely remove any dust from the inside of my machine. Then I removed my old stock cpu pretty easility, cleaned the old thermal paste off my cpu with an alcoholic wipe and then replaced it with a pea-sized dot of thermal paste and placed my new fan into my pc. TBH I struggled putting in my new fan- its pretty bluky and it requires a back plate to be **** onto the back of my motherboard (my previous stock fan didn't have a backplate on the back of my motherboard. My new Fan moved around a bit while I was fixing it to the CPU and I got the tiniest, tiniest bit of thermal paste on my motherboard- which was cleaned off using some dry tissue (it was so small, you would need a magnifying glass to see it).\n\nThe biggest struggle I had was mounting the fan onto my cpu and attaching it to my motherboard. I was careful not to tighten the screws too tight. I placed all my components back into my pc, attached all the cables to the correct places- the 18pin, 8 pin, misc wiring ect etc- gave the inside of the case a spray with some compressed air, closed my pc case and tried to turn it on. Nada, no power, no light, no nothing on anything on my pc. My PC wont start and there is no lights whatsover.\n\nSome concerns of note....\n1) with some slight force- i'm able to twist my fan- i'm pretty sure this is not supposed to be like this. \n2) i'm concerned the paste on my motherboard might have fried the whole thing, however it was all cleaned off and there is no sign of any paste, I also sprayed my motherboard afterwards with some compressed air.\n3) i'm concerned my new fan screws are touching my motherboard where they go through to mount my back plate. I thought no metal is supposed to touch my motherboard?\n4) when I plug in my Direct Power Cable into my PSU in the back of my case it makes the tiniest sound of electrical cackle for half a milisecond, letting me know there is power getting to my PSU- however I still dont know how to narrow this further\n\nSome possible problems....\n- Maybe my motherboard is fried\n- Maybe my PSU is fried or its not powerful enough- its 500 watts and i've got a 5370k + gtx 770\n- Maybe my power button on my case is messed up- the electical component underneath my button appears to be lose for some reason. \n\nSome things that aren't wrong....\n- All my leads are connected correctly to the motherboard and they all seem to be in good shape\n- My graphics card has been left out of my case while I try to turn it on in order to more identify the issues\n- My Motherboard appears to be pristine and nothing appears to be damaged throughout the new fan being **** in\n\nAny ideas fellas- otherwise my pc is screwed and I wont be around for a long, long time :(
Battlenet: powerpuffter#21980\nSteam: powerpuffters\nOrigin: JEST-Powerpufter
powerpuffters
Over Opinionated
Over Opinionated

Re: New CPU Fan Installed, computer not starting.

Postby powerpuffters » January 11th, 2016, 7:49 pm

also i never removed my motherboard, maybe there is some dust behind the motherboard after using the hairdryer (there waa a huge amount of dust in my computer
FatSheriff
Chatty
Chatty
Planetside 2 Character Name: FatSheriffV2

Postby FatSheriff » January 11th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Thermal paste on the motherboard won't kill it unless it's in the cup socket and then it's just a pain cleaning it first off if you are see no activity at all I would guess it's the psu if it's on but not posting I would first check you have connected the fan to the correct header and then just make sure it's on properly, if no joy reseat your cpu cooler but normally you will see something unless it's the power supply.
FatSheriff
Chatty
Chatty
Planetside 2 Character Name: FatSheriffV2

Postby FatSheriff » January 11th, 2016, 8:32 pm

On a side note check the backplate isn't touching any metal on the motherboard it mite be shorting it.
powerpuffters
Over Opinionated
Over Opinionated

Postby powerpuffters » January 11th, 2016, 8:36 pm

Possible problem also: Header Cables are not plugged in. \nPosible solution: Plug in Header Cables\n\n\n\nWill let you know how I get on when I put all my PC back together again, and make sure my header Cables are plugged in.....
KhanMashIV
Social
Social
Planetside 2 Character Name: KhanMashIV

Postby KhanMashIV » January 11th, 2016, 10:25 pm

If that was your problem I did a similar thing when assembling my rig. :? I somehow managed to unplug my 24 pin connector from the PSU whilst cable managing... considering I spent an entire day to make sure nothing could go wrong on my end did go into a mild state of panic and of course it was only after I triple checked the PSU that I noticed :D \n\nOn the off chance you don't manage to fix the problem do let us know!
\nDarkness is coming.
powerpuffters
Over Opinionated
Over Opinionated

Postby powerpuffters » January 11th, 2016, 11:37 pm

Problem Fixed- cheers Hemp, I dont think I would have managed. Spent the better part of today completely unassembling my PC- every component, until not a single wire was left in the case. Finally managed to fix the issue with the header cabled. \n\nNew CPU Fan finally **** and my case- both inside and out, looks brand new from all the dusting and all i can say is wow. My feet are cold from the air coming from my case as I type this. \nIdle CPU temp before the clean and new fan ****: 45-50 degrees\nIdle CPU temp after the clean and new fan ****: 25-30 degrees
Kheebab
Over Opinionated
Over Opinionated

Postby Kheebab » January 11th, 2016, 11:41 pm

It's always the cables man. Every time.
redlines
Over Opinionated
Over Opinionated

Postby redlines » January 12th, 2016, 1:06 am

\nRedlines Own Fleet: 1xConnie-Am, 3x Aruoras LN, 1x Gladis, 1x G-starfarer, 1x Banu M, 1x Anveger, 1x origin 325,
KhanMashIV
Social
Social
Planetside 2 Character Name: KhanMashIV

Postby KhanMashIV » January 12th, 2016, 9:35 am

\nDarkness is coming.

Return to “PC Hardware and Software”